5 painful things that’ve happened to me recently
I don’t like to talk about my successes all the time.
So as the headline says…
Here’s a handful of PAINFUL things I’ve experienced in the last couple months.
My hope is it’ll deliver you some sweet, sweet schadenfreude if you’re really going through it right now…
1. I screwed up the CTA link in one of my funnels without realising… which took a WRECKING BALL to an ENTIRE affiliate promo that would’ve otherwise been very successful
(I cringe just thinking about this…)
2. The first version of the CMMP sales page — that took me a shockingly long time to knock out — got ripped to shreds by Roy Furr when he reviewed it
(Worst part is — 95% of the problems were SUPER basic things, like the headline not calling out the exact audience, the close being weak, stuff like that. D’oh.)
3. I was speaking to a copywriter on LinkedIn who told me he “respected my grind”… only to find out later he’d been spewing hate about me in a copywriting group
(I don’t care that he doesn’t like me… but the two-faced nature of the whole thing was irritating to say the least)
4. When things REALLY started ramping up for both my programs, I started experiencing boot-on-chest breathlessness and anxiety
(What the scale bros never tell you is how genuinely stressful scaling actually is… I had no choice but to ease up a little and work on dealing with it)
5. It hit me like a steam train that my personal problem with sticking to a routine was showing up everywhere in my business
(As Sam Ovens likes to say — “there’s no such thing as a business problem. Only personal problems that show up in your business”. Like the guy or not, he’s bang on. And my life-long issue with routine was starting to seriously impact business growth… so I had to go back to square one to fix it)
Alright, that’s all I could think of.
It’s a short and random list, I know.
(And definitely NOT exhaustive…)
But that’s all I need to make my point — which is this:
EVERYONE goes through stuff like this, even people you think are “successful”.
(Hard to word that without it coming across like a humble brag haha, sorry!)
So don’t be fooled into thinking that influencers in this industry have a smooth ride all the time.
Take it from me:
They screw up.
They lose money.
They waste time.
They make bad decisions.
They hire the wrong people.
They launch marketing campaigns that flop.
They have to go back to the drawing board more often than they like to admit.
And something else no one likes to tell you…
Things get HARDER the higher up you go.
You just gotta get better at dealing with it.
Take ANY top player in our industry…
And I’ll bet there’s a cocktail of pain… stress… fear… self-doubt… imposter syndrome… and anxiety, topped with a couple Maraschino cherries and a tiny pink umbrella that you’re just not seeing.
So take a deep breath.
Roll up your sleeves.
And keep f*cking pushing.
Yes, it gets harder the more you climb.
But the rewards (better income, fun clients, sharp skills, freedom to call your own shots) make it ALL worth it.
That’s all I got today :-)
P.S. If you need help on your copywriting journey, go here: